Sunday, August 24, 2014

One Week Down!

I survived my first week!

It was reeaaaally hard getting up, and I'll admit that I was in bed each night while it was still light out but I survived!!

I am really excited for this year.  Our team has some really great kids and I can't wait to get to know them better.  I spent the first 2 days going over expectations, rules and procedures.  I had the students practice my procedures, and then take a quiz (which they HAD to get a 100% on).  I am really going to stress the importance of following procedures, and am actually going to be really hard on the students the first few weeks until they get them down. I feel like in years past I've been too lax, and spent too much time wanting to pull my hair out when a student would get up in the middle of me teaching to throw something away, or sharpen their pencil.  So far this year it seems as if I've trained them well. :)

I am really looking forward to my advanced group of students this year. In previous years I've had "advanced-light" students who really weren't "advanced". When going over the syllabus and explaining that science fair was mandatory, we literally talked about science fair for about 20 minutes. It was refreshing to see their enthusiasm, as last year it was like pulling teeth to even get students to talk about science fair, let alone ask questions.  They are definitely going to keep me on my toes that period, but I am looking forward to the challenge.

I spent 5 hours at school yesterday completely re-vamping my Scientific Method unit; making mixed-ability activities, hands-on explorations, and making brand new activities for 2 students I have who speak limited English, and who can't read their native languages so translating information is ineffective. It is going to be a challenging year, but I have high hopes for this crew.

I'm off to the grocery store so I can spend the rest of the day doing absolutely nothing.

Here's to week 2!


No comments:

Post a Comment