Tuesday, August 5, 2014

SUPER Monday Made It!

I am SUPER excited for this week's Monday Made it! I have been extremely busy the past week prepping for going back to work.  I am NOT ready to go back next week, but my classroom is slooooowly coming along. I am really happy with how it's turning out this year.  Stay tuned for my classroom reveal!




How adorable is this ribbon curtain I made for my doorway? I got some clearance ribbon at Michael's a while back knowing I would find some use for it. The tension rod cost me $3.50 at Target, and I probably paid $0.50 a roll for the ribbon (there are about 9 rolls of ribbon here). I totally play with it when I walk in the doorway and I know the kids will too, but I just love it!

I also made a crayon wreath to give it some color.






Crate seats! I've been wanting to make this for a while, and finally got around to it this summer.  I got the fabric from Hobby Lobby, the crates from Wal-Mart, and the wood from Home Depot (leftover from my made it #4 project). Hubby cut the wood for me and I put them together while watching Sharknado 2. I have them scattered around the room for kids to use while working in the hallway, in groups, or whenever they wish. They really add a pop of color to my room!






Labels! Lots and lots of labels! I've been labeling EVERYTHING in my room so kids can stop asking me where things are.  I laminated them using my handy laminator and my mommy helped me cut them out. They add some character to my Dollar Tree storage containers.  Here are some snippets:






I am the most excited about this project. I have been wanting a kidney bean table for my classroom for a while, but couldn't justify paying $300+ for it. So, I asked my hubby if he could build one and he said it wouldn't be a problem. I wanted a think hardwood top, since it will have to withstand middle schoolers all year. For an 8x4, 3/4-inch thick board, legs, and paint it cost $80. I had them trim about 2 feet off so it would fit in my car, but also so I could use the scraps to make my crate seats.

After mapping out the dimensions and deciding on how deep of a curvature I wanted, hubs used the jigsaw to cut it out. After some sanding it was time to paint! If you know me, you know that I am slightly obsessed with anything pink.  I knew I didn't want to stain it, and after browsing through the colors decided on pink! They didn't have pink paint, so I made my own by mixing white and bright red. It only took 1 coat of paint, and I put on 5 coats of matte polyeurthane just to make sure it was as protected as I could make it. I am absolutely THRILLED how it turned out!! 


Hubby marking out the dimensions


The final product! The polyeurthane still has another day to cure before I can bring it into my classroom.


I got a rug Wal-Mart to go underneath. I wanted a darker color to offset the brightness of the pink. I ordered stools from Ikea for $5 each for kids to sit on (totally stole this idea from my ELA teacher, Liz). Since they're middle schoolers, I knew they wouldn't be comfortable sitting on the crate seats, since they're so low. 


Yay for classroom projects!!





No comments:

Post a Comment