Monday, September 1, 2014

Labor Day Made It!

I've been enjoying a much-needed lazy day.  I spent much of yesterday at school getting ready for the week and getting my classroom cleaned up. My room was a mess due to tablet rollout, which was done during my science class on Friday. I don't think I sat down for more than 2 minutes that day.  I also picked up my car from the body shop on Friday.  I was in an accident in July (an elderly gentleman hit me while trying to make an illegal u-turn) and had been driving a rental for 2 weeks. I was really happy to get my sparkly fixed car back! Needless to say, that day was pure craziness and I was in bed early Friday night. :)

Saturday was spent having breakfast with my hubby at our favorite spot and lounging around. We spent some time at the pool, and watched the Indiana Jones marathon on Spike.

Z had to be at work at 5am this morning, so I was up with him at 4. Tucker and I went for an early morning walk, and then had about 2 pots of coffee while sitting on the back porch. It was a nice, relaxing morning despite it be an early one.

I totally stole today's made-it idea from my ELA teacher, Liz. Science is so vocabulary-heavy and students often struggle to understand some of the content because they don't know the vocabulary.  I am really stressing the importance of vocabulary this year, and decided to use vocabulary notebooks to help.  I am assigning about 5 vocabulary words a week, which will be due on Friday.  I am starting off the unit giving all the vocabulary words, plus their definitions.  Not having students look up the definitions will help, since sometimes there are 5 different meanings to the same word. This way, students will learn the correct version.  I am using a modified version of the Frayer model.  Students will have to: define the word, use it in a sentence, spell it phonetically, and draw a picture of it. For their notebooks, I took composition notebooks and cut them in half.  Dollar General had composition notebooks on sale for $0.50 each, and I cleared them out!

I used a miter saw to cut them.  There were bits of paper everywhere!!


I am excited to set these up tomorrow with the kiddos!



It took me about 10 minutes to cut 60 notebooks.  Tomorrow we will tape an example to the inside cover for reference, and students will have until Friday to get them done in their notebooks.  This will  be standing homework each week. I am anxious to see how this will work this year!

I'm off to get some hibachi food! Happy Labor Day!!



No comments:

Post a Comment