Saturday, October 25, 2014

2 Months in One Blog Post :)

This school year has been hectic to say the least.
Between lesson planning, data analysis, conferences, more data, and lots of weddings, I have seriously slacked on my blog.
I don't even know if I have many readers, but here is the past few months of my life.

1. My Students

I cannot gloat about my kids more. This year (student-wise) my kids are absolutely amazing. They are so diverse; I have students who barely speak english, and kids who are testing in the 99th percentile, but are so rewarding to teach. It is amazing to watch them so eager and excited to learn. This is especially exciting since previous years, students have been less enthusiastic about learning, and more concerned about their social status. It is very refreshing!

Here are some snippets of activities we've done thus far

pH Lab
Students investigated the pH values of 10 everyday substances. They loved using litmus paper, pH paper, and phenolphthalean while watching them change colors. They kept saying "I feel like a real scientist!"



 Balancing Chemical Equations
This is something that I struggled with, even in Chemistry. I found a really awesome manipulative a few years ago from middleschoolscience.com (unfortunately the website is no longer active but I saved the files). Too often students try to break apart compounds, and change subscripts while balancing. This allowed students to visually see things, and even my ELL kids mastered this task!









Scoot!
My students love scoot. So much that my ELA teacher started incorporating it into her editing process.
I found a timer online that I don't have to constantly reset every minute or so. It has really been a lifesaver this year.
I could literally leave, go to Starbucks, come back, and my kids would still be scootin' away like I never left.

2. Wedding Season!
October was a big wedding month. The first weekend two of my dear friends from college got married. I remember the first night they met, and now they are married! Zach and I flew to Ohio for a quick weekend.








I got to see my niece and nephew. They are growing so fast! Elise was looking for my brother's car keys and enlisted the help of a magnifying glass, flashlight, and her brother Jack to help. It was adorable, and I miss them.







The following weekend, we made the drive to Georgia to see Zach's best friend get married. We stayed with my mother-in-law and had a relaxing, but rushed weekend. 




The wedding was beautiful, but almost didn't happen. As Torrey learned, the military likes to make things a bit more complicated than it needs to. All that matters is he made it home in time to get married.





How sweet is her veil? 

 The drive home was looooooong and of course there was traffic for NO REASON in Atlanta. Tucker helped keep us entertained. We also learned he can drink out of a cup, and really likes chewy ice.





3. The Halloween Dance
My friend Liz and I are in charge of student council.  Last night was our halloween dance! Despite some issues from our student council members, it was a hit! We had a photobooth, costume contest, light and glow sticks, lots of candy and junk food.  
I dressed up as Helga Pataki from Hey Arnold! and the kids surprisingly knew who I was. 
After a 12-hour day Thursday for parent conferences, and a 12-hour day yesterday for conferences and the dance I was EXHAUSTED at the end of the day. 





4. Data, Data, Data
I am so sick of data.
That is all I am going to say.

I am very much looking forward to the upcoming holiday season! I can't wait to see my family- both mine and my in-laws and spend some quality time with them (and away from data).

Happy Saturday, y'all! I am going to enjoy this chilly afternoon working in the yard. It looks like little shop of horrors in my herb box. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment