Thursday, November 13, 2014

Fingerprint Testing

We have been learning about the integumentary system this week (your skin). It's hard to come up with interesting, engaging, and relevant activities for this particular system. Normally I combine teaching it with the muscular system, but with Veteran's Day off Tuesday, it wouldn't be feasible to to 2 systems in a week. So I turned to TPT for a new resource and stumbled across this amazing fingerprint lab.

Students make an "ink pad" using their pencil, and take fingerprints of all 10 fingers. They have to identify their fingers, and graph the class results. It was a great refresher for graphing- which kids ALWAYS seem to forget is also a part of science!

My students LOVED this activity! Even my ELL's had a meaningful experience with this lab. Here are some photos of my "crime scene investigators". That's what they kept saying they felt like. I love them.




That's a baby wipe for cleaning silver fingers, not a tissue. :)



1 comment:

  1. I would have never thought about using a pencil as an "ink pad"! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete